Organic Turmeric Powder
$9.99 – $34.99
Turmeric has been used for centuries for its world renowned benefits as a natural anti-inflammatory and pain soothing remedy. How does it work? Turmeric contains the chemical curcumin.
Zen’s pure organic ground Turmeric is a high-grade powder derived from the Turmeric root. You probably know turmeric as the main spice in curry. It has a warm, bitter taste and is frequently used to flavor or color curry powders, mustards, butters, and cheeses. But turmeric is also used widely as medicine.
Turmeric has been used for centuries for its world renowned benefits as a natural anti-inflammatory and pain soothing remedy. How does it work? Turmeric contains the chemical curcumin. Curcumin and other chemicals in turmeric might decrease swelling (inflammation). Because of this, turmeric might be beneficial for treating conditions that involve inflammation. Health tip: Adding a pinch of black pepper to Turmeric and cooking oil can help boost the benefits of Turmeric greatly!
What is Turmeric:
For thousands of years, India has been the largest turmeric producer on the planet. Though today it is cultivated throughout the world, we often associate its strong flavor with Indian foods, and its ayurvedic reputation as a powerful healing agent for a myriad of conditions. With its pungent taste and bright yellow color, combined with its notable popularity as a healing agent, turmeric has earned a distinctive, and distinguished place in both the kitchen and the medicine cabinet. Turmeric may be the “it” food product of our times, but it’s ancient to modern usage in the Hindu culture spans from wedding rituals, to clothes dying, to healing salves. Today, piggy-backing on another culture’s blessings is normal, and we take it for granted. For those interested in learning more about the plethora of uses for turmeric, the information is vast and readily available via the internet.
Mike’s summary of Turmeric: Turmeric, traditionally used for stomach and liver ailments. Is also being used for its anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, antiviral properties, giving over 50 million Americans who currently struggle with one of these minor ailments which can lead to major illnesses a more natural health solution. Also, thanks to it’s most active compound circumin, it has been found that it has the potential to prevent heart disease, Alzheimers’s and cancer.
Fernando’s summary of Turmeric: Turmeric is composed of three curcuminoids (curcumin, desmethoxycurcumin, bisdemethoxycurcumin). Curcumin works with inflammation by blocking the effects of two enzymes in the body which lead to inflammation. Curcumin works with inflammation by blocking the effects of two enzymes in the body which lead to inflammation. The two enzymes, 5-lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase-2, have been found to encourage and sustain swelling and inflammation in body tissues and organs. Desmethoxycurcumin is a beta-diketone that is curcumin in which one of the methoxy groups is replaced by hydrogen. Bisdemethoxycurcuminis used as a pigment and Nutraceutical with antimutagenic properties.Although it was long believed that Turmeric was responsible for the beneficial health effects, research today has narrowed its focus to the component of Curcumin, as being primarily responsible. In fact, it is this agent that has been shown to regulate numerous transcription factors, cytokines, protein kinases, adhesion molecules, redox status and enzymes that have been linked to inflammation.
Benefits of Turmeric:
- relieve pain and inflammation, such as osteoarthritis: due to the presence of curcumin, acts as a potent anti- agent. The curcumin in turmeric works by inhibiting several different molecules that play a role in inflammation. Some research shows that taking turmeric extracts, alone or in combination with other herbal ingredients, can reduce pain and improve function in people with knee osteoarthritis. In some research, turmeric worked about as well as ibuprofen for reducing osteoarthritis pain.
- hay fever: Taking curcumin, a chemical found in turmeric, seems to reduce hay fever symptoms such as sneezing, itching, runny nose, and congestion.
- depression: Most available research shows that taking curcumin, a chemical found in turmeric, reduces depression symptoms in people already using an antidepressant
- high cholesterol: Turmeric seems to lower levels of blood fats called triglycerides. The effects of turmeric on cholesterol levels are conflicting. There are many different turmeric products available. It is not known which ones work best.
- itching: Research suggests that taking turmeric by mouth three times daily for 8 weeks reduces itching in people with long-term kidney disease. Also, early research suggests that taking a specific combination product (C3 Complex, Sami Labs LTD) containing curcumin plus black pepper or long pepper daily for 4 weeks reduces itching severity and improves quality of life in people with chronic itching caused by mustard gas.
- thinking and memory skills: n traditional medicine, turmeric was often relied on to boost cognitive abilities, increase , and boost memory retention. Many of those traditional beliefs have now been legitimated through research, and turmeric is still considered a brain-boosting herb today. It can also protect the neural pathways from long-term oxidative stress and the build-up of plaque.
For More Information:
“The spice turmeric, derived from the rhizome of Curcuma longa L, has been used for centuries in food preparation and in traditional medicines to treat numerous diseases and conditions. The primary biologically active constituent of turmeric is the polyphenol, curcumin, an orange-yellow powder that has potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which, in part, may contribute to curcumin’s potential to prevent such conditions as cancer, Alzheimer disease, heart disease, and arthritis, to name a few.” Source: Turmeric : An Overview of Potential Health Benefits